DoggyTales : Malaysia Dog Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart

4 posters

Go down

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Empty Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart

Post by annie Sun 24 Feb 2008, 9:34 pm

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Dsc00910

flower Introduction flower
The Silky Terrier, also called the Sidney Terrier, is a fine-boned, moderately low-set, long-haired terrier. It is compact but lightly built. It has erect, v-shaped ears and a docked tail. (Docking is illegal in some European Countries.) The head is flat and wide between the ears, with a shallow stop. The nose is black and the eyes are round and dark with a piercing expression. The teeth should form a scissors bite with a sturdy jaw. The body is slightly longer than tall with a level topline. The round, catlike feet are small and well-padded. Dewclaws should be removed. The coat is long, about 5-6 inches (12-15 cm). The fine, silky, shiny hair has no undercoat. It is very prone to tangles and mats unless frequently groomed. The coat should not reach the floor. The hair is parted down the center of the back. The coat comes in blue & fire red, or blue with tan markings. Many shades of blue are permitted. The topknot should be lighter in color than the tan points. Silky Terriers are born black.

flower Temperament flower
This loving, little terrier is very intelligent, courageous and alert. Affectionate, spunky cheerful and sociable, they like to be close to their master, but do not accept them to be a "mellow" lap dog. They are full of energy. Curious about everything, it is an enthusiastic digger. Active, keen and demanding. Smart and quick, though a bit willful as with most terriers. Despite its size, this docile dog is watchful and protective. Normally these dogs are very loving with children if they are raised with them, but they can be snappish if peeved and should not be rough-handled or teased. A hardy little fellow, it is a good dog to travel with. It makes an excellent watchdog, but can become a barker if not controlled. They are reserved with strangers and not generally trustworthy with other pets. Socialize them well with cats when they are still a puppy or they will chase them when they get older. Can get jealous and pick fights with other dogs. Training these dogs is very straight- forward because it is very eager to learn.

flower Height & Weight flower
Height: 9-10 inches (23-25 cm.)
Females are generally smaller than the males.
Weight: 8-11 pounds (4-5 kg.)

flower Health Problems flower
Generally healthy. Minor concerns are intervertebral disc disease, elbow dysplasia, patellar luxation and Legg-Perthes. This breed sometimes is afflicted with diabetes, epilepsy, tracheal collapse.

flower Living Conditions flower
The Silky Terrier is good for apartment life. They are very active indoors and will do okay without a yard.

flower Exercise flower
The Silky Terrier is full of energy and needs to go on daily walks. It has surprising stamina and will enjoy regular chances to run and play

flower Life Span flower
About 12-15 years.

flower Grooming flower
The Silky Terrier is very prone to tangles and mats and needs daily combing and brushing. It should be bathed regularly to keep the hair in top condition. It takes quite a commitment from its owner, requiring about 15 minutes a day. After bathing, make sure the dog is thoroughly dry and warm. The coat must be trimmed occasionally, and the hair on the legs from the knees down is often trimmed short. The hair that falls over the eyes is tied up in a topknot so the dog will be able to see easier. The Silky Terrier sheds little to no hair.

flower Origin flower
The Silky Terrier was originally developed in 19th century Australia from other terrier breeds such as the Skye and Cairn but primarily the Australian Terrier and the Yorkshire Terrier. American servicemen stationed in Australia during World War II brought Silky Terriers home with them after the war. The breed was recognized by the AKC in 1959 and its standard was established in 1962 (and later updated in 1967). Though the Silky Terrier has always been primarily a companion dog, this swift little dog can catch domestic rodents.

flower Life Span flower
*Click Me*

flower Facts flower
Silky Terrier Facts

Q. How big is the Silky?

A. The Silky should be 9 to 10 inches at the shoulder and in the revised breed standard weight has been eliminated, however most Silkies still average the old weight standard of 8 to 10 pounds.

Q. What is their coat like?

A. The original coat standard states the should grow about 5 to 6 inches long and should hang about 4 to 6 inches from the ground this was changed in 1989 and states that it should not approach floor length nor should the feet be obscured It is non-shedding and odorless. The texture is similar to our hair and compared to other coated breeds is easier to keep tangle free if brushed at least 2 times a week. Most people can groom their own dogs well enough that professional grooming is not needed.

Q. What is the difference between an Australian Silky Terrier, Silky Toy Terrier and the Silky Terrier.

A. They are all the same breed but have different names in different countries, specifically in Australia, Canada and the United States.

Q. What is the difference between a Yorkshire Terrier and the Silky Terrier?

A. The Yorky should not weigh more than 7 pounds, however most pet quality Yorkies are as big as the Silky, and they have a thick coat that drops right to the ground. Yorkies have a shorter muzzle, larger eyes and a domed head. The Silky head is more solid with small eyes and flatter skull. The Yorky’s color must be a dark gray with rich tan. The Silky may be almost any shade of gray with tan legs and silver or fawn topknot. An adult Silky will occasionally "Brown out" the coat will become a Champagne or tan color This doesn't happen very often and there is no way of knowing what puppies will change . The Yorky topknot is always put up in a bow, the Silky is not. The Yorky is more common with an average of 68,000 litters and 137.000 dogs registered annually as compared with 1200 Silky litters and 2100 dogs. With the heavy over breeding of the Yorky they have more genetic problems and fewer quality breeders. The Yorky has a true "toy dog" temperament the Silky more of a low keyed Terrier temperament

Q. Where did the Silky Terrier come from?

A. The Silky originated about 100 years ago in Australia. Their major ancestors were the Australian Terrier and the Yorkshire Terrier. They were bred to be family companions, watchdogs, and to hunt rodents and snakes.

Q. What is the Silky temperament like? Are they good with children?

A. The Silky temperament combines the best of both worlds. They have enough toy dog characteristics to be good lap dogs, but enough terrier temperament to be fun. They generally are not toy-like in disposition with that nervous, yappy, snappy defensive behavior exhibited in many small toy breeds. Nor are they as aggressive as so many terrier breeds. They are happy to play tug of war, chase a ball, hike, swim, play for hours and occasionally rid your house of unwanted rodents, as their bigger terrier relatives will do. They are not usually excessive barkers but will alert you quite vocally if they hear or see something they feel warrants your attention. They have been known to protect their owner as best they can against unwanted intruders. For their size they have a heart of a dog far bigger than they are. Silkies generally are good with children. However children under 7 years of age should be supervised with the puppy to make sure they do not hurt or play inappropriately with him. I have sold many Silkies to families with children including handicapped children and in most cases there are no problems. However, if there is a problem with overly aggressive behavior seek professional help. Most temperament problems are caused by, poor or no training, aggressive playing, and giving mixed signals to you dog without knowing that you are telling him that this is not appropriate behavior.

Q. How is the Silky with other pets?

A. They generally adapt very well with other pets as they are not as aggressive as most terriers. I do recommend if there are several dogs in the house that they be spayed or neutered as this will help curb dominant behavior. I also recommend early socialization with pet rats, mice, hamsters, etc. as they were bred to hunt rodents.

Q. How easy is the Silky to train?

A. They are quite bright, but also retain the terrier stubborn streak. They will not take repetitive or abusive training, but they do love to learn. If you enjoy training there are very little limits to the types of training they can do. Silkies have obtained Obedience titles including CD, CDX UD, and have worked in agility, tracking, herding and as therapy dogs. They now can compete in terrier earth dog trials. Silkies have worked as actors generally playing Yorkies and have been attack trained (although I do not recommend this for pets). I had a Silky in the Eiger Sanction with Clint Eastwood that had to learn within 6 weeks to walk on a leash, sit, stay, come when called, "ride" Clint’s leg, speak and jump into a jeep. Formby was a 3-year-old stud dog that was untrained at the time he was chosen by Frank Weatherwax to do the movie.

Q. How healthy is the Silky?

A. They are very healthy. Their life span is about 14-16 years. The oldest pet I sold lived to 22 and I have had two of my own live to 19 and one to 20. They have only 12 recognized problems of which 5 would manifest long before puppy is ready to leave a breeder and would not pass their Veterinarian check and therefore would never be sold. Most breeds have an average of 24 problems. The problems of concern that should be guaranteed against in writing by your breeder for one year are Legg-Perthes, Patellar Luxation, and diabetes mellitus. However any major problem even if not generally found in the Silky should also be covered in your breeder’s guarantee for at least a year.

flower Proud Silky Terrier Owners flower
Like a Star @ heaven annieoyh - Germaine | 2 years + | Blue & Tan
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
Like a Star @ heaven
annie
annie
Regular
Regular

Female
Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-02-24

http://nienietong.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Empty Re: Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart

Post by annie Sun 24 Feb 2008, 9:38 pm

I love you My baby I love you

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Dscn2311

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Dscn2010

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Germai10

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Dscn0810
annie
annie
Regular
Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart Empty Re: Silky Terriers - Small Dog with Big Heart

Post by yenlu Tue 26 Feb 2008, 12:03 pm

Germaine Germaine, when are you coming to me? LOL
yenlu
yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 3411
Registration date : 2008-02-01

https://doggytales.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by feathersakura Tue 01 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

Very cute Germaine , i think i saw your pic sumwhere b4 , maybe friendster king

Last edited by feathersakura on Tue 01 Apr 2008, 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
feathersakura
feathersakura
Slowly Addicted
Slowly Addicted

Female
Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by feathersakura Tue 01 Apr 2008, 3:23 pm

hey there , Annie- babymiki ? right ?

i heard from bf and told me about u b4 and u got a cute silky terrier and schnauzer wan right
Beside , i heard from my friend -Chloe from Green pet ''..she say she did saw u on tat day at pet world midvalley event =')

u work for Petster magazine ? i think tat time i went ikano @ petster magazine launch , if im not mistaken got saw u but not sure is you or not .

well hope one day can see your beloved dog - Germaine and schnauzer ya .

All the best 2 u
feathersakura
feathersakura
Slowly Addicted
Slowly Addicted

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by yenlu Wed 02 Apr 2008, 6:19 pm

Yea, annie-babymiki, and yes she works for petster magazine. She seldom come in here since she starts to work ahhaha :p I think I can just answer on her behalf LOL.

Ya, I also want to see Germaine and Meeko!
yenlu
yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 3411
Registration date : 2008-02-01

https://doggytales.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by feathersakura Wed 02 Apr 2008, 7:45 pm

yenlu wrote:Yea, annie-babymiki, and yes she works for petster magazine. She seldom come in here since she starts to work ahhaha :p I think I can just answer on her behalf LOL.

Ya, I also want to see Germaine and Meeko!

Thx for answer ...

I love you

OH no wonder , cuz my friend '' CHloe '' say she saw babymiki .

then i say i maybe know who is she ...cuz my bf told me b4 who is Annie , but i dunno her nick yet XD

Yea , i wish to see her Germaine and Meeko ... sunny
feathersakura
feathersakura
Slowly Addicted
Slowly Addicted

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Thu 03 Apr 2008, 3:37 pm

Hey annie.. I saw ya at the petworld exhibition. Once i saw u i knew its u.. Ha.. Anyway didnt talk quite much with u cause im eager to walk and see around.. Hope u bring ur dogs to kl so can meet ur dogs one day..
Judy
Judy
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Female
Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by annie Sat 10 May 2008, 9:21 pm

wah so long tarak join here liao. haha sorry for the late reply.

feathersakura, who's ur bf? @@ did u bring ur furkid to the mag launch? anyway im not working at petster anymore. haha

and judy, you look gorgeous man.
annie
annie
Regular
Regular

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Judy Sat 10 May 2008, 10:54 pm

digitral aka kavin is her bf la. lol. haha i saw ur photo at the pet shop boys. lol!!!

ur pretty too. Smile thanks man.
Judy
Judy
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted

Female
Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2008-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down