DoggyTales : Malaysia Dog Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me

5 posters

Go down

Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me Empty Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me

Post by SmallGiant Fri 12 Sep 2008, 9:38 pm

Hello, I have a question a little puppy.

About 3 months ago my housemate got a tiny little puppy (barely 1 foot in length). I've ignored it all this while. Now its gotten quite big, and eventhough it sees me walking in and out of the house everyday, it runs after me barking away. (but its tied to a gate) It will be trying so hard to get to me, barking at the same time. But sometimes it wont bark or do anything, it just sits there quietly.

One day it got loose, and entered the house (housemate not around). I thought i was going to be bitten but then i took a badminton racket and slammed the end to the floor, it got scared and hid under a chair.I quickly got out of the house. And I have never been to the house for nearly a week (holidays) And I will be going back in a few days time.

So what will I be facing now? A dog that is going to bite me, or a dog who is afraid of me??
If its still barking at me, is it wise to frighten it so that it never ever barks at me again?

SmallGiant
New Comer
New Comer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me Empty Re: Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me

Post by yenlu Fri 12 Sep 2008, 10:02 pm

Do you know what breed is that dog? How old is it now? If puppy, most of them don't remember so well, yet.

You scare of dogs? Maybe you try to be friend with him, so he won't bark at you?
yenlu
yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 3411
Registration date : 2008-02-01

https://doggytales.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me Empty Re: Housemate's puppy being unfriendly to me

Post by Dr3aMCuT|3 Fri 12 Sep 2008, 10:02 pm

the dog only bark at u but not other housemates?if u keep frigthen him, he will bark at u whenever he saw u...why don u try to be fren wif him whn ur housemate (the owner of the dog) is around?
Dr3aMCuT|3
Dr3aMCuT|3
A Maniac
A Maniac

Female
Number of posts : 1976
Registration date : 2008-02-18

http://picasaweb.google.com/agnesw.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sat 13 Sep 2008, 12:01 am

does it look as if it wants to bite u? puppies r generally playful n frenly. maybe it only wants a pat on its head from u? but of coz if u r afraid of dogs, u wont be able to do this.

sometimes if a dog has been all alone at home for a long time, it gets depressed or bored. so once it sees someone coming home, it will get excited.
Chris
Chris
Regular
Regular

Female
Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterAlvin Sat 13 Sep 2008, 2:31 am

dogs are never hostile in nature, especially to ppl that stays under the same roof with their masters. i think it barked at you for a few reasons, one being it's curious about you and the other one is that it feels threaten by your unfriendly attitude.

i think the best thing for you to do, is to try to befriend with the dog, which is also the easiest way, as i never had any problems befriending with any dogs in my life, yet.

you need a pack of treats.
go to the dog when the dog is tied, then throw a piece of treats at it. if it breaks attention immediately and go for the food, i'm 100% sure that it doesnt see you as an enemy.

now, repeat that but each time you do it, take 1 step closer. until you are so close that you are only out of the dog's range for an arm's length. then throw another piece of treat, if the dog eats, pat it on the head.

you can do this on a regular basis, feed, pat on the head.
to control the dog not to launch itself at you, take the treat, show the dog, if the dog jumps at you, take back the treat, and wait for it to settle down.
after it has, show it a treat again, feed the dog only when it doesnt lauch at you. after a few times, the dog will get the message that you dun like it to launch at you.

repeat those on and off an i believe you'll get a fairly peaceful life no matter how much you dislike dogs under the same roof.

p/s: a scared dog is like a time bomb, if you scare it too much, you never know one day it might just jump and bite you to protect itself, natural instincts.
MasterAlvin
MasterAlvin
A Maniac
A Maniac

Male
Number of posts : 1418
Registration date : 2008-05-07

http://anotheralvin.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SmallGiant Sat 13 Sep 2008, 5:12 am

I did try feeding it a few times. I got a video of one below. During this time it did not bark at all, but later the same day it barked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBXzMt_Yrs

right after it eats, it is like rushing towards me.

The dog owner, has many times "told" the dog that i'm a friend and tries to make it stop barking but it still barks.

SmallGiant
New Comer
New Comer

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by yenlu Sat 13 Sep 2008, 3:30 pm

He rush to you because he wants food from you Smile

Training a dog is not a day job, you must be consistent.
yenlu
yenlu
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Female
Number of posts : 3411
Registration date : 2008-02-01

https://doggytales.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterAlvin Sun 14 Sep 2008, 2:34 am

i think the dog is friendly enough for you to do the last part of what i said.
it wont bite you, even if it does, it's probably your fault for not being careful.

the dog seem very friendly to me, loves to play.
MasterAlvin
MasterAlvin
A Maniac
A Maniac

Male
Number of posts : 1418
Registration date : 2008-05-07

http://anotheralvin.multiply.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down